Wednesday 15 July 2009

Manny Has Some Powerful Enemies



In a recent conference call for the September 19th bout between Floyd Mayweather Jr and Juan Manuel Marquez, it appeared that Manny Pacquiao was the topic of discussion rather than the actual fight. Floyd, then promoter Oscar De La Hoya and then Marquez took turns to pour scorn on Manny Pacquiao and his current 'Pound for Pound' status.

Mayweather began pleasantly but then his true feelings came out
"Pacquiao is a good fighter. I don't take nothing from him," Mayweather said. "He hasn't done nothing I haven't done. Where was he when I was dominating in the '90s? He hasn't called me out. I'm not hard to find. I ain't worried about him. With or without him, I'm comfortable. I'm happy. He don't make me (nothing). I don't chase opponents. Opponents chase me. The biggest fight in boxing is Mayweather versus anybody."


Having previously been promoted by Bob Arum and Top Rank, Mayweather then went on to ridicule Pacquiao's current deal,
"Manny Pacquiao has the worst contract in boxing with Bob Arum right now - 27 percent," Mayweather said. "I keep 100 percent of my money. Are you serious - 27 percent? Arum tells Manny Pacquiao the same bull he used to tell me."


Mayweather then talked up his September 19th opponent, Marquez, claiming,
"I would have to rate him over Manny. For a guy to knock him down three times in the first round and he comes back to get a draw, we know who lost,"


Next it was Oscar De La Hoya's turn, having been stopped by Pacquiao last December one would think he would be rather respectful of Paquiao's abilities but instead he claims he 'felt more skill coming from Floyd' in their match than he did from Pacquiao in theirs. He also claimed that if Floyd and Pacquiao were to ever meet, Floyd should definitely get the lion share. He also said,
The winner between Mayweather and Marquez is the best pound-for-pound fighter on the planet. The fans are the ones who speak and we all know Marquez beat Pacquiao."


Marquez also joined in the 'Manny bashing', claiming that he beat Pacquiao both times they fought,
"Mayweather is the best. He retired undefeated. When I fought Manny I thought I beat him both times,"



Its nice to see them all so friendly now, hopefully the love in comes to an end and they both make a fight of it as I know they can.
And although I don't feel Pacquiao is the pound 4 pound king (Marquez is), they should not all be so quick to poke him because as Oscar found out he is a live wire!

No comments:

Post a Comment