Wednesday 5 August 2009

Mayweather Sr: Cotto Can Win

Floyd Mayweather Sr believes Freddie Roach has made an error in picking Miguel Cotto as Manny Pacquiao's next opponent. Although most are picking Pacquiao to beat Cotto, Mayweather Sr believes Cotto has the power to win.

“I think Cotto has a very a good shot to win. He’s got a good puncher’s chance. If Cotto hits him to the head or the body, he is going to take his ass out. Cotto did not look good against Clottey and I think Clottey beat him. That was a bad cut [suffered by Cotto during the Clottey fight]. I think a cut like that would affect anybody. A cut like that can keep you out of the game,”


Mayweather Sr then went on to claim that Cotto could end the fight with one punch, questioning Pacquiao's previous wins and ability to deal with Cotto's power,

“He whooped on Oscar De La Hoya who was dehydrated and had no liquids in him. Ricky Hatton was suspect before the fight. Cotto is a puncher. If Cotto is in good shape and he hits him to the body or the head, he can take him out, my mark my words. [Roach] made a mistake by thinking Cotto ain’t that good. If Cotto hits him right, he take his head off, remember I told you that. Cotto is going to be ready for this fight, believe me. If Cotto hits him to the head or the body, he is gone"






I personally don't understand why people are writing Cotto off, I agree that Cotto's power is enough to handle Pacquiao and although Pacquiao is fast and powerful himself, Cotto has the ring savvy to cut the ring down as well as the timing to land on Pac. Im a Cotto fan so I may be talking with bias but I expect a hard fought Cotto win.

No comments:

Post a Comment