Tuesday 11 August 2009

Rivalry Builds Between Chavez Jr and Alvarez


A rivalry is building between Mexican prospects Julio Cesar Chavez Jr and Saul Alvarez. Although the two unbeaten fighters are in different weight classes, Alvarez sees no reason why the two cannot face off.

Alvarez (28-0, 21KOs) feels as a good a fighter as Chavez Jr (39-0, 29KOs) is he has made his way off his father's name stating,

"He's had a good career and he's a good fighter. There has been a lot of talk about a fight between us and if they can make [the fight], then let's do it. I saw some of his fights on TV. He rose up fast because of his father's name, and I've made a career with hard work. I think people realize that when they see me fight. His promoters turned his amateur career into a pro career. I can't deny that I would like to fight him but I am also thinking about bigger things and my plan is to keep growing and growing,"


But these comments did not sit well with Chavez Jr who retorted,

"He is a good fighter, very young. I think he talks about me sometimes. They told me that he wants to fight me. I do not like to talk a lot. He looks strong, and I think, as I said before, that he is a good fighter, but nothing exceptional. This is evident in the ring. He hasn't fought anyone. I was fortunate that my dad was Julio Cesar Chavez. But at the end I'm still the one who is fighting for the opportunity,"


Alvarez faces Carlos Leonardo Herrera on September 15th in a welterweight clash whilst Chavez Jr faces Jason LeHoullier on September 12th in the junior middleweight division.

No comments:

Post a Comment